Saturday, April 16, 2011

Red Swan Barbecue: ah, home!

A friend invited me to Red Swan for lunch, and he feels strongly about his invitation.

"baka Red Crab ibig mong sabihin?"

But no, he was Red Swan all the way. So I finally gave in and gave it a shot. After our lunch, I came back the following day with another friend, now with the same recommendations. Here's why:

Red Swan's location has its pros and cons. It's hidden in the crazy grid of streets along the Scout intersections in Quezon City. It's on Sct. Santiago and Sct. de Guia's intersection, a residential area. There's no way to commute, except via cab. It's a quiet street actually, private cars pass from time to time, a few tricycles, and that's it.

If you are trying to get away from the hustles and bustles of the Metro without missing the comforts of home, Red Swan might be a good choice.

When I got inside, it took some time before I fully appreciated the empty feeling inside the place. I'm almost certain it was a residential house turned restaurant. Who would do that?!? But as I sat for a few ten minutes while enjoying their free Wifi, I suddenly felt like I was home. The ambience was so homey, I could almost hear my dog barking outside. And then the food started to come.

We ordered okoy for starters. They are round and crispy, almost like kropek, but closer to chicharon in texture. Okay, for a while, I sounded hard-sell conyo. But that's the way to put it. Blah.

I'd say they were excessively oily (redundant me), but the suka they serve along with it made the okoy too difficult to resist.  I thought I could eat less and save some room for the main dish, but the dish was two minutes late. And I was so certain there were a few okoys left on that, now, greasy plate.

The slow-cooked ribs was recommended by the waiter, and the truffle pasta was recommended by my friend. The ribs did not fail my expectation of what slow-cooked meat ought to be. Tender, juicy and grilled to perfection. It was served with rice and coleslaw. They serve it with three sauces to choose from, barbecue, mango puree, and some oil with chili. Barbecue being the perfect partner for the ribs, mango being mango, which I thought would have been best served with crushed ice, and the chili oil which complemented the steaming rice.


The food was presented well and my eyes were pretty much full already before I could actually eat them.   The truffle pasta was surprisingly cheap said my friend. According to him, truffle mushrooms are really expensive. But when we read about the details of the pasta on the menu, it says truffle essence, and three other mushrooms. Truffle essence or truffle mushrooms, the pasta was really good. Vegetarians would go crazy over this healthy pasta without sacrificing the need for meat. For someone who doesn't appreciate meat-less pasta, I'd give their truffle pasta an exception, and a two-thumbs-up recommendation.


The next day I went to visit, I ordered their slow-cooked chicken barbecue. I noticed most of their meals are slow cooked, maybe they should change their chef to someone who can cook faster.
(audience laughs)

(crickets chirping)

From the wonderful slow cooked ribs experience the previous day, I'd have to say that the chicken was a letdown. I guess slow-cooking chicken makes it dry and surprisingly bland.

Good thing I tried their grilled ensaymadas which they are apparently very proud of. They add an interesting twist to it that makes them quite a treat to the palates. I think they have over a dozen flavors to choose from, from an awkward bacon topping, to dark Toblerone, to fruits etc.

I got the dark Toblerone and was very pleased, I almost forgot how sad the chicken meal I had was. The grilled ensaymada was warm, with the right amount of sweetness, crunch (rice crispies coated in chocolate), and cheese. I have yet to try their other flavors, which all look amazing in prints! Check out their Facebook account for the photos. Key in Red Swan on your FB search tab. Trust me, they look just as pretty when served.

I stole this photo from their Facebook account. Yummy no?
Aside from the ground floor dining area, they have three more rooms upstairs, of various sizes, which they use for small to medium functions. The smallest room could hold up to 10 persons, while the biggest holds 20 or more. Customers can rent the rooms from P2,000 to P5,000, consumable. Not a bad deal at all. Don't forget to check out these rooms when you come visit, or rent a room or two on your next party.

If you want a private, cozy, boutique type of place that serves fine dishes, well, I strongly recommend Red Swan. They serve lunch and operates until 10PM. They serve beer too! Ah, home.

Price starts at P120- P300

Food :         ****
Ambiance: ****

Service:     ****
Servings:   ****


  • Red Swan: 36 Scout Santiago Street Corner Scout De Guia Street, Quezon City

 

8 comments:

  1. sumisiryoso sa food blog! :) very good! nag-kita na rin ang first and second love mo. naalala ko biglang balak mo'ng mag-shift sa CTHM on your 2nd year. na-miss na kitaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks ma! yeah, finally I found another uhmm, channel for my thoughts. Para hindi mapudpod ang skills. HIndi man ako natuloy sa pagluluto, sa pag-kain ang bagsak ko. ahahah!

    I miss youuu more! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for the review.. please do try the bacon ensaymada, you'd be surprised with the favor and texture.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i meant "flavor"..

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Richard! I'll make sure I get one on my next visit! More power.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would confuse the dark Toblerone ensaymada for an ice cream with the photo alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i went there last weekend and i absolutely loved the white toblerone grilled ensaimada! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. coolness! try ko yung bacon enseimada nila soon! hahaah!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...